Thursday, June 21, 2012

Thursday Arch Series

.
Arch 2012-06-17 1

I scrounged up a couple of Arch pictures last weekend. Still looking for new inspiration. I need some time off to think. I need a sabbatical. I need to retire.

Ha!, as Virginia would say.

Anyway, this was taken from the park in East St. Louis, Illinois, opposite the monument. The Malcolm Martin memorial overlook is just visible on the horizon. See that cylindrical building to the left of the Arch? Just below and to the left of that. Behind me is the Gateway Geyser, our water jet that blasts a stream as high as the Arch is tall (which is pretty damn high, at least by local standards). More about that soon. By the way, that structure on the right is a big grain elevator. The whole area looks like part of the Midwest prairie.

There may be another post or two from the Renaissance Faire before I'm done. You did want to hear about Axel the Sot, didn't you?

10 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

You know, I just might make a point of seeing that arch this fall, just to say I did, take a few pictures, then get out of town right away. Nothing personal, I just avoid big cities.

Olivier said...

ah quel plaisir de retrouver la grande arche, belle photo b&w, de loin comme ca elle ressemble a une grande roue

cieldequimper said...

It's all about perspective. Never seen this tiny arch.

Jack said...

There is nothing wrong at all with this arch composition, Bob.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

When I was a teenager in St. Louis when the Arch was being built, we used to joke that they might build a giant croquet mallet and ball in East St. Louis.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I was hoping to click on and see the Thursday Arch series Bob I've missed it, and in this image so much more than the arch to see. Perfect balance between sky and foreground and the B&W gives it that little bit of an industrial edge.

William Kendall said...

You must tell us of the Sot!

Terrific shot, Bob.

Oakland Daily Photo said...

It's nice to see the Arch again.

Aattorney Cleveland TN said...

Its memorable for my childhood. Because I passed my lot of time the Arch.
Thanks to the author for this nice sharing.

Nathalie said...

Another great one of the Arch, Bob. I love that you turned it to b&w: it makes us think of a harvested wheat field rather than a large grassy area. It makes me feel we're right in the country, just like you can see the cathedral of Chartres from way afar in the wheat fields.

Yes you need a sabbatical. When can you reasonably expect to retire ?