Tuesday, June 5, 2012

La Mode de la Tête

.
Gypsy Caravan 2012-05-28 29

Most of the Gypsy Caravan sales area was spread across a few parking lots. It also filled a garage where much  of the merchandise could have blown away if it were outdoors. Several of the vendors had handmade, old or simply strange hats. The head mannequins were as interesting as the headware, with a variety of takes on the female face, a preference for elongated necks and very quiet expressions. Interpret them as you like.

Gypsy Caravan 2012-05-28 26

Gypsy Caravan 2012-05-28 28

Gypsy Caravan 2012-05-28 27

9 comments:

Paul in Powell River said...

Great post, well seen and captured!

Nathalie said...

The bottom photo has a dreamlike quality which is quite striking. The softly twisted neck, watery eyes and quiet expression seem to reveal the maker's real sensitivity, something you don't see in any of the other heads. But then the material used for the two middle ones doesn't help.

Lovely post anyway.

Gunn said...

What a long neck on the top one!:)
Nice models.

cieldequimper said...

I'll have that first one. Complete with head.

Kranky Granny said...

I saw a comment you made on the "Oakland Daily Photo" blog that told me you were from St. Louis area. I had to jump right over and leave you a message. I have met so few bloggers that come from the St. Louis area and can't pass up a chance to say hello.

I have lived within fifty miles of ST. Louis all my live and once lived in the city proper. I now live in Washington, Mo. Everywhere I go is fodder for my blog and that includes my trips into the city.

I will be stopping by as often as time permits. I believe you will be giving me quite an education on my own neck of the woods. So to speak.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

This is some pretty natty head wear here Bob, I particularly like the last one, very 1940's look!!

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Are women supposed to ask, "Honey, does this hat make my neck look long?"

Jack said...

To sell headwear, they don't need heads that take the attention away from the merchandise.

PJ said...

I like seeing retro fashions in movies but I remember people actually wearing these things, don't want to relive that!