Saturday, June 9, 2012

String Theory

.
Electric Guitar Composite


Okay, lame title but it's what popped into my head. And anyway, the picture is in two dimensions, not eleven. So, moving right along...

Electric guitars were a radical invention. Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton undoubtedly hastened Andres Segovia's death. The basic technology is  simple but how come most of the pickups are perpendicular to the strings but some are at an angle? Why do some instruments have one or two or three pickups? Who invented the whammy bar? There were no answers at the sale table at the Gypsy Caravan where I found these instruments.

8 comments:

Lynette said...

Great image, Bob. I don't know how they work, not at all, but I am quite thankful that they do! I'm quite fond of the electric bass, too.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

In Phoenix we now have a world class Musical Instrument Museum. It has galleries devoted to instruments from every corner of the earth, and a gallery in which musicians have donated or loaned their instruments. That gallery has a lot of electric guitars on display.

Each display has a video that shows the musicians playing the instruments, which can be heard automatically through headphones as visitors walk near each display. The MIM has a motto "The best museum you'll ever hear."

Thanks to Target and its former CEO for donating the money to build the museum.

Pat said...

I think of Picasso's musicians when I see this.

Jack said...

The photo on the left is a wonderful composition.

PJ said...

In my next life I'm coming back as a great axe player.

Unknown said...

Great cropping! I really like how you composed this mosaic, Bob.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

There are always too many questions with no answers Bob! I do love the way you've composed this image half/half..tres inventive!

Anonymous said...

Happily, Segovia lived and worked until 1987. "[The Beatles] appear to be nice boys, but the intruments they play are abominations." -- Rick in Chesterfield