Friday, June 11, 2010

Gratuitous Something Else

.
Okay, guys, wake up. STL DPB has moved from gratuitous cuteness with sweet little kids to gratuitous...well, this. These ladies are are a permanent fixture at the Renaissance Faire; the renaissance of what part of the world is open to question. I don't think it's Florence.

Lots going on this weekend. U "R" Us and special someone Clare will arrive from Chicago late tonight. Tomorrow morning we're all going up to the top of the Arch! I haven't taken the ride in a couple of years. Then some museums, probably, and in the evening our annual Shakespeare in Forest Park festival. This year it's Hamlet. Oh, yeah, that's where the phrase that ended yesterday's post comes from. Act 1, Scene 3, specifically. And we'll have absolutely no problem getting around the 65 or 70,000 thousand people expected downtown for the Susan Komen race/walk for breast cancer research. I got a helicopter on call.
.

7 comments:

Kate said...

Looks and sounds like fun in the sun. Hope your day is free of humidity and with pleasant temperatures...you have lots going on!

Kim said...

They're dancin', they're dancin' in the street, dancin' in the street. . .
It took a long time for even me to see the fiddler in the background :-).

lewi14@gmail.com said...

Oh la la. What a great event!

Stefan Jansson said...

I'm very happy about this change!

Virginia said...

WEll It's all my fault apparently. I threw down the guantlet with "Top this Bob" on my blog the other day and Lordy you did just that. Well for the record my belly "dances" all the time! :)

Anonymous said...

This is the Chuvani bellydance troupe "and Sheherazade Drums." One of the drummers doubles on guitar, but the addition of that fiddler has greatly enhanced the musical side of this act. Of course, the tension between "authenticity" and... fun... in bellydance resembles the sort of aesthetic goofiness found in RenFaires in general. Drives some people crazy.

Chuvani's music, although "acoustic," reveals the distinct influence of the Saint Louis Classic Rock Tradition. The Saint Louis Renfaire is a similarly satisfying recreation of an authentic Renaissance faire... of the 1970's.

[Sorry to post as 'anonymous.' It feels kind of creepy. I'm Rick, and I'm finally bookmarking this blog, after finding it randomly a half-dozen times in the past year.]

Nathalie said...

Ahem, I'll pass.
I loved yesterday's clown with his balls in his mouth (yeah poor taste I know, I'll use being a foreigner as my excuse for expressing myself improperly ;-))