Saturday, June 19, 2010

Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme

.
So okay, I'm an art snob, but that's the first thing these words made me think of. My wife enjoys art but she's not a snob. Actually she's a Lutheran, and knows that title as
an old chorale hymn from her church. I recognize it as the first section of J. S. Bach's cantata BWV 140. Wake up! a voice is calling. You can hear a clip of the beginning here.


This was shot from the roof of the City Museum. It's the top of a neighboring loft building. Our family had an intense discussion about how the graffiti was painted. Did someone hang over the edge of the wall, maybe with an accomplice holding his/her feet, drawing the letters upside down?

The scrawl below was a few meters to the right. It's hard to decipher. The best I can get is "Drooght Your Suicide (letter M or downward pointing trident or musical notation for a triplet or the glyph for the artist formerly known as Prince) Life." Interpretations are welcome.

1 comment:

cieldequimper said...

Hard to associate Bach with these. I really like the association though. Is Bach really that snob?!!! ;-)