Tuesday, June 1, 2010

CDP Monthly Theme Day: Odd Signs

.
I didn't find a lot in the way of laff riot signs around town but this will do. Mr. T. Rex here has been on the blog a couple of times but the placard is new. It's good advice: don't feed the dinosaurs unless you plan on doing so with yourself.


The bottom photo, however, is the quintessential weirdo St. Louis sign. I didn't lead with it because it's not my picture. If fact, the building is long gone. The story is that St. Louis' German immigrants had a taste for fried calves' brains sandwiches, a market served by this emporium on Chouteau Avenue just east of Grand Boulevard in Midtown. The location is near St. Louis University and the building was still around when I was a student there in the late 60s and early 70s.



18 comments:

cieldequimper said...

I don't see why they shouldn't be fed, lol!
I just love the second one. I used to love eating brains when I was a small kid.

Olivier said...

j'adore la vielle publicité ;o) J'aime aussi le Baseball, mais pas les matchs en entier, je préfère les résumés, je trouve que c'est souvent très lent très lent ;o)

Jilly said...

Ha! Funny one and yes love that second shot. Classic. Pity the building has gone.

Stefan Jansson said...

You should always be careful around dinosaurs.

Pierre said...

Oh both of those pics are so funny! Had to laugh. On top of being funny, the second one is beautiful, in this sepia tone and with the arch on the background.

Pierre said...

And I'm right? the "Do Nuts" seems to be the cherry on the cake...
According to my online dictionnary, Nuts can define "crazy or insane person" :-))

lewi14@gmail.com said...

Really funny signs indeed.

Kate said...

The kids must love the top sign. The bottom sign is priceless.

Mirela said...

Darn, I was about to feed the T-Rex with my annoying cousins' kids! The second photo is hilarious :-)

B SQUARED said...

Given the condition of society today, they must not be doing much of a business.

Virginia said...

I can think of a lot of people that need to queue up at the Brains Drive Through. Great shots B and I'm guessing no one will get their knickers in a knot!

Luis Gomez said...

Both signs are great!

Eleonora Baldwin said...

I have to send some guys I've dated to get some 25cents-worth...

Lovely shots, I liked the T Rex advice.

Ciao my friend

T. Becque said...

If only it were that simple to get some brains, I'd buy some for a few I know! Cute on the top photo.

Buck said...

The first one was nice; the second made me laugh.
Both nicely done!

brattcat said...

I'm getting in line for the brains! And I may come back for seconds or thirds.

Chuck Pefley said...

The brains should be reserved for T-Rex, I think!

Great signs, Bob!

Babzy.B said...

really funny ;)