Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Camera Camp, Day One

.
My head was throbbing by the end of yesterday. Arlene Collins knows her stuff cold. I didn't know 90% of what she was talking about. Shutter speed is for background exposure and f stop is for the subject and also depth of field but when you're using TTL you can vary the intensity of the light by plus or minus three stops in 1/3 stop increments but also don't forget the inverse square rule and to expose the whole picture in matrix mode first and then start messing with the settings and you can't rely on the color and brightness on your camera's screen and the histogram ain't all that helpful so it's better to download the image to your computer and see it there except your laptop is too big and heavy to carry in the field and what are you supposed to do about color balance because flash has the same color temperature as sunlight and Arlene doesn't like the Stofen Omnibounce I've been using for years and prefers the Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer (which I may want at the bar after dinner) and the regular size soft box.


Get the idea? Ian here was our model for the afternoon shoot. They work us from breakfast to bedtime. It's a blast.
.

8 comments:

Virginia said...

Oh hush B. You got every word. I on the other hand was reading that like I read French. I could pick out a word here and there that I knew! I'll bet you and Amazon or B&H had a grand ole time once you got back to your room and your laptop! Can I have the leftovers?HA

Ming the Merciless said...

I have a headache just reading about it. :) Sounds like you're having a great time.

Olivier said...

voila un cour intéressant, on pense toujours que c'est simple un flash, mais il y a tellement d'option.

Eleonora Baldwin said...

Duh... what?

This is when I play my "I'm Italian" card.

Thank you for your lovely comment re SPQR over at my place, and for sharing a snippet of your past.

Ciao
Eleonora-compact-digital-that-does everthing-by-itself

brattcat said...

The only flash of insight I got from this is that I will never be the brightest bulb in the digital photo pack.

cieldequimper said...

As a point and shoot user for the time being, I didn't understand a single word of your very technical gibberish, which of course isn't gibberish.

I've always admired models for the sheer time they spend sitting, muscles taut to stay in the same position...

this too will pass said...

way toooo much info' so that's why they have auto settings? nice photo

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Oy, my head hurts just reading this. What ever happened to grab shots? Guess I'll never grow up to be a good photographer. sigh.