Wednesday, September 26, 2007

From the St. Louis Soccer Hall of Fame

Last Sunday afternoon, I was out taking pictures between the railroad yard and the Mississippi River floodwall south of downtown. The area has a stark landscape with its own kind of beauty and I will post some pix in the next few days. I met John, who was out for some exercise, and had a long, fascinating talk. He is a member of the St. Louis Soccer Hall of Fame and was one of the leading scorers in the history of Southern Illinois University. He played professional soccer in England and later became a teacher when he returned home. John has strong opinions about why St. Louis Cardinals fans are weenies compared to supporters of Buenos Aires' Boca Juniors (and I can attest to that myself), American educational policy, sexual politics, English soccer hooligans, social issues and the quality of the United States government.

You meet the most fascinating people when you walk around with a camera and ask someone if you can take their picture.

TOMORROW: Thursday Arch Series

1 comment:

Kate said...

Well, I guess I'm not the only one who photographs bare chested men, but so far you haven't been teased about it! This subject definitely has interesting history!