Saturday, September 29, 2007

Continental

This is the Continental Building in mid-town St. Louis, near St. Louis University and the Grand Center entertainment district. When I was a student at the university during the late 60s and early 70s, it was a derelict office building. Now, like so many old buildings in our city, it has been rehabbed into upscale apartments.

This photo was created using a high dynamic range (HDR) merge, pulling together a greater breadth of light and dark tones. There is an online tutorial about using this technique with freeware and without a tripod here. The eye can distinguish 20 stops of light (one stop is double or one-half a given amount of light). The best cameras can manage only four to six, beyond which the highlights are blown out or the darks have no detail. HDR can help overcome that.

3 comments:

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Innaresting. I'd like to see the component pix that made this. Maybe put them on flickr?

Hyderabad Daily Photo said...

Wow. What a picture. When I was
scrolling down on this page, it gave
me the illusion that I am zooming in.
I had to go back up and down again
to see what happened there. :)

Anonymous said...

Back when this was empty and called the Superman Building, I broke in with some friends and went up to the roof. It was incredible.