Friday, January 19, 2018

Frozen Chuck


I don't remember the exact temperature but it was really cold (for us) when I visited the ice carnival. Walking by the statue of St. Louis' Chuck Berry across the street from Blueberry Hill, where he performed regularly until he died last year, I couldn't help but think how frigid the bronze was. The man himself was a complete contrast.

I never met Berry as such but I attended the dedication of the statue in 2011. A casual acquaintance with the sculptor, Harry Weber, got me into the room at Blueberry Hill where Chuck was hanging out. That got me this picture, one of my all-time favorites.

Mrs. C and I are attending a fundraiser later today for Senator Claire McCaskill, who is up for reelection this year in this red-leaning state. We need her. Hope I get a couple of pictures while I'm at it.    

3 comments:

Kate said...

A wonderful sculpture and photo of this musician!!

Sharon said...

That really is a great sculpture but that picture of the real thing is fantastic. Good for you for giving Ms. McCaskill your support. As you know, Arizona is also a red-leaning state. And, even though I'm a big blue-leaning person, I've found myself defending Jeff Flake the past few months. I may not agree with all of his conservative stands but, he is right about our current leadership situation.

William Kendall said...

The sculpture really brings out a sense of life in Berry. It reminds me somewhat of the Oscar Peterson sculpture here.