Sunday, July 22, 2007

In The Cathedral

I was taking pictures on Saturday in and around the St. Louis Cathedral Basilica. It's a cathedral because St. Louis is an archdiocese of the Catholic church and this is a great big building. It's a basilica because some Important Person in Rome decided that it's a significant church. I think they got around to that when the pope came here a number of years ago. As a recovering Catholic, I'm more interested in the art and architecture but since childhood I've had a fondness for the gorgeous ceremony - soft light, symbolic colors, grand ritual, the organ and choir, the scent and haze of incense.

The catherdal is known for its sumptuous mosaics, more of which later. I rounded a corner into a side aisle and found this image.

3 comments:

WichitaKsDailyPhoto said...

Peaceful photo in a beautiful setting.

Sasha said...

MAn, I sure know a lot of recovering Cotholics! I was never raised with a particular religion, so all religions and everything connected to them fascinates me. Lovely photo, I think the "common man" makes it perfect.

Olivier said...

J'aime beaucoup le coté graphique et infini de cette photo. bravo pour le coup d'oeil


I like much the with dimensions graph and infinite of this photograph. cheer for the glance