Friday, February 22, 2008

Crown Candy Kitchen

In an old neighborhood not far from downtown is Crown Candy Kitchen, run by the same family since 1913. It's a bit isolated now but people come here from all over. They serve basic lunch items, sandwiches, burgers and the like, but they are renown for their sweet stuff. Crown makes its own ice cream and still practices the art of confectionery. Chocolate is made on site. The jewels in the Crown are its big hand-made milkshakes. By tradition, if you can consume five of them in 30 minutes, it's on the house and they engrave your name on a plaque on the wall. Visit St. Louis and accept the challenge.

TOMORROW: Funky Broadway

5 comments:

Clueless in Boston said...

That's unusual for a small business like this to stay in one family for so long. Staying in business that long must mean that their food and confections must be wonderful. I will take the challenge if I ever make it to St. Louis:)

iBlowfish said...

Interesting post, since this store can survive so many years. I have seen in past 10 years many business just like Crown Candy Kitchen rolled out of business for many reason. I have one favorite of donuts store in old town in my city closed their door about 5 years ago. I believe the reason was original owner passed away. Nobody can make donut taste the way he made them, so they just closed them, and I haven't have favorite donut yet to this day. Probably there are couple of business like this still exit in my city but I haven't found them yet. Your today post just remind me all of this.

badhonestdame said...

Crown candy has excellent food, especially the BLT (their sandwiches are HUGE), and fabulously delicious ice cream (ah, yes, you MUST order a shake with whatever meal you have)!

Troop 1309 said...

That is amazing they have been in business since 1913. Great photos!

Anonymous said...

I was born and raised in St. Louis. Crowns is probably one of the best places I know for food, and their sweets. I know the owner and a lot of the employees....seeing as how some of them are family. Anyway I recommend that anyone the goes through the St. Louis area drop in and give it a try.