Thursday, February 1, 2018

My Award Goes To...


There were prizes awarded late in the day for the best ice sculptures. We didn't hang around that long but I had my own pick for best in show. It is hard for me to imagine the precision and skill it took to make the top part of this one. The meaning isn't completely clear but my best guess is that it is someone doing a handstand on a surfboard while something fishy watches from the bottom of the wave.

I took this picture soon after we arrived. It was a mild afternoon and by the time we we were ready to leave the arms of the top part had melted, the body falling onto the pavement. Another lesson in impermanence.  


3 comments:

s.c said...

I wonder if those artists are also good with marble or wood?

PerthDailyPhoto said...

All that work to just melt away.. Al least he didn't fall into the mouth of the danger below 😀

William Kendall said...

It's a terrific sculpture! The ones here that are out in the open tend to become opaque over time with exposure to the sun, while those that are sheltered stay quite translucent.