Monday, October 1, 2012

Sort Of CDP Theme Day - Silhouette (Lack Of Buddha Nature)


Happiness Is Expensive

It's the first of the month, City Daily Photo theme day. The October 1 topic is silhouettes. Well, being a really busy guy and all that, I didn't get around to actually shooting a silhouette anytime recently. Could have dug through the archives, of course, but an opportunity dropped into my lap yesterday.

I was walking around Grand Boulevard, shooting Dancing In the Street, which we'll see the rest of the week. I noticed what seemed to be a tiny art gallery in the building next to the huge Fox Theater. No signage, no evident entrance. There was white neon lettering on an interior wall spelling out happiness is expensive, sort of in Bruce Nauman style.

It was fascinating, despite absurdity of the statement. Maybe it was meant to provoke, like Jenny Holzer's work. So I downloaded my shot, made a color negative of it, fiddled with it in Photoshop and then turned it monochrome. Sort of like a silhouette, don't you think? Close enough?

13 comments:

Carraol said...

Good work, very creative!

Olivier said...

idee et photo tres originale, tres bon pour le theme du mois

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Yours must be one of the most creative efforts to fulfill the theme.

Unknown said...

This is a terrific image! That company should use it for their marketing.

Pat said...

Ha. Good shot. And yes, I agree that this is a total lack of Buddha nature! Look what happiness you had making a free shot! ;<)

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Very creative idea Bob and I bet you had a lot of fun doing it. Definitely don't agree with the sentiment though.

Shantaram said...

Very stark. And quite arresting. That's a lot of effort for a theme day picture, but the product is worth it!

William Kendall said...

Works for me, Bob!

EG CameraGirl said...

How clever of you! It turned out well.

RedPat said...

You handled the challenge well!

Stefan Jansson said...

I couldn't come up with anything at all!

Jack said...

I don't know if it is a silhouette or not, but it is pretty cool.

Babzy.B said...

very intersesting treatement :)