Sunday, May 6, 2012

I Love NY

.
3rd Ave and 53rd Street 1 BW

When I was in high school in The Bronx, some literature class offered up a bit of Sir Walter Scott that was once highly regarded as an example of really bad poetry. It went:

       Breathes there the man with soul so dead
       Who never to himself hath said,
       This is my own, my native land! 

Sure, drivel by today's standards. But this weekend I am in my native land, The City of New York, and it's tearing me up. I love this place beyond measure and I get back so little. There could not have been a more stimulating place to grow up. Not that I'm sorry life set me down in St. Louis with a person I adore but every time I step out of the subway in Manhattan the longing returns. OMG, I'd love to live here again, but life's winds take us where they will. Now my home is near the Mississippi, not the Hudson.

Above, looking up at the Citicorp Building from 3rd Avenue and 53rd Street near our hotel. Below, an iPhone shot in the subway.

TOMORROW: Toynbee Tiles in New York.

14 St Wet


9 comments:

Wayne said...

I see the Lipstick building in there. I've stayed a couple of times at the Marriott with a view of the Lipstick Bldg. from my room. The only view I might like better in NYC would be of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Great shot Bob.

Olivier said...

YESSSSS I LOVE NY aussi ;))
Superbe photo de nuit. j'adore

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh my gosh you sound torn Bob, NY does indeed sound like a high energy kind of place, but I bet you'll go 'ahhhh' when you arrive back in Saint Louis oui! Fabulous first image, NY Gotham style, you really wouldn't be surprised if if the 'batsign' lit up in that sky.

Virginia said...

Maybe it's just me but that building on the right looks like a giant zoom lens!
V

William Kendall said...

Very evocative first shot!

Carola said...

Awesome first shot. And I like the subway shot too.
I've been to St. Louis, but not to New York. Maybe one day.

Unknown said...

Brilliant shot on top! Love NY too. :-)

brattcat said...

i love that top photo.

Stefan Jansson said...

This is a good one.