Thursday, May 17, 2012

Dexter Silvers

.
Dexter Silvers 1

While I was walking around the back streets of the Tour de Grove I ran into a family who had a racing party going on the sidewalk. Friendly as can be - they gave me a big wave and hello, said something about my big lens and asked if I would take their picture. Of course. When I walked over I noticed that a man was working on a painting at an easel.

That's how I met Dexter Silvers, an extraordinary artist. He has lived in The Grove neighborhood for decades, making paintings of the St. Louis scene and images just from his imagination. That's what he was working on in the second photo. He has a studio and gallery in the building beside him, where I saw many of his works. This man has impressive talent. Locals, it's worth your while to go say hello and see his stuff. You can contact him through the link above.

Below, his charming wife, Gwen, and another member of the family, Frances. (I forgot to write down her relationship!)    

Dexter Silvers 2

Gwen

Frances

7 comments:

Oakland Daily Photo said...

This post makes me wonder how many talented artists are in our midst that we don't know about. They labor at what they love. Which is miraculous in and of itself.

Paul in Powell River said...

Great portrait shot!

Stefan Jansson said...

Nice presentation of the artist. Always interesting what you can learn when you start to talk to people on the street.

cieldequimper said...

That's a beautiful series of portraits.

Can't get links to insert today but... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_them_eat_cake

Olivier said...

de tres beaux portraits, bravo

Virginia said...

The Silvers family looks like good people i"d like to meet and photograph. You did a good job of capturing their spirit B.
V

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Excellent portrait shots Bob, Dexter Silvers is a very fine artist. so great to come across treasures like this.