Monday, July 20, 2009

Meanwhile, Down the Street...

.
I took some more good shots at Citygarden over the weekend. We'll get to them. However, on my way downtown yesterday I stopped at Milles Fountain. The work, by Swedish sculptor Carl Milles, is called The Meeting of the Waters. It consists of 19 nude bronze figures in two facing groups, male and female. It was originally called Marriage of the Rivers, referring to the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi just north of St. Louis. Well, the statues were nekked and the title had too many conjugal implications for the local blue noses in 1940 so the name had to get changed.

The fountain sits in a plaza opposite Union Station, 10 blocks west of Citygarden. Unlike its new neighbor, it's a bit rundown. The concrete is in some disrepair and I don't think the trash gets picked up as often. Still, the fountain is gorgeous. You have to shoot it in just the right light. This is only a detail but I'll go back.


There is a new Arch photo
today on GATEWAY.
It's about time.

8 comments:

Hilda said...

He reminds me of little kids holding up toy airplanes running around the room while making engine sounds! :D

This is a beautiful shot with the playful water!

Sharon said...

This one I remember well. I always thought it was very elegant view from the hotel across the street.

Sally said...

Photos of fountains can be so banal (and I've taken plenty!) and this is so NOT. Can feel the splash of the water.

All the best from me at Sydney Daily Photo. I’m so busy with a new job I hardly have time to post, much less comment these days!

Olivier said...

très belle fontaine et une belle gestion de l'eau

CeeDee said...

Love the composition of this piece.

Leif Hagen said...

Wonderful sculpture! By a Swedish sculptor, Carl Milles, - no wonder I like it so much! Tack sa mycket!

Virginia said...

What a great shot B. Oh my goodness!V

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mr. Crowe. Just wanted you to know that I found your blog today (both this one and your photos of the Arch). Thank you thank you thank you. Your photography is amazing. Do you sell books of your prints? I am currently in Atlanta recovering from a nearly fatal car accident on June 3, 2009 and am so homesick for my beloved Gateway City. I miss EVERYTHING about St. Louis and really hate Atlanta. But your photos made me a little less homesick and helped me to really work at it in physical therapy today so I can return to my beloved hometown of STL in early September, as planned. Thank you so much for your photos of what will always be "home" to me.