Friday, November 16, 2007

Your Mother Said You'd Go Blind...


...if you stared at the sun. It didn't seem to hurt the light sensor of my camera much, blinking at that brightest spot for 1/500 second. The hazy clouds probably helped.

This is in Forest Park, looking roughly south across the Grand Basin, a large, formal pool. In the background is Art Hill, STL's favorite sledding spot (it's so much bigger than you can see in the picture) and, on the top, the St. Louis Art Museum. You can rent a rowboat and paddle around the fountains.

TOMORROW: Watch out for the drop at the bottom

8 comments:

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Zowee. This is really calm-inducing in a non-cliche way (as in it wouldn't come as a standard destop wallpaper). There's something other-worldly about it. Me likey. And a novel perspective on a view I know quite well.

Waldo Oiseau said...

I love Forest Park and need to explore it more the next time I visit!

Bob Crowe said...

Thanks - I'm posting another photo of the Grand Basin tomorrow, taken from the top of Art Hill, with a very dramatic cloudscape.

Cate, do let us know if you are going to be in STL. I'll be passing through KC next Wednesday but it's just a quickie. Seeing my sister and law and her husband in KC KS for dinner, the pick up U "R" Us at the airport early Thursday morning and on to my wife's mother's house a ways out in north central KS.

JaamZIN said...

this light is very beautiful! I love this photo!:)

Annie said...

Blink! That's otherworldly looking.

Kate said...

That is an interesting environment that lends itself to both summer and winter activities. I like the "feel" of the water.

Hyderabad Daily Photo said...

That is a "dazzling" picture. :)
It must be so nice to paddle through the lake with the fountains.

Isadora said...

What a lovely site. I bet this place really comes alive in the summer time.