Thursday, November 15, 2018

Courage


I need to pay more attention to the beautifully restored Soldiers Memorial downtown. It opened 80 years ago as a World War I monument, eventually included later wars, but in time got pretty run down. A group raised $30 million to bring it back to its original state and add additional exhibition space. It was so crowded on re-opening day that I'll have to come back to see it all.

Four of these big sculptures flank the north and south entrances. The word courage is thrown around a lot but sometimes I wonder what it really means. Maybe it's a high tolerance for risk.       

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

I like your definition. I would define it as the ability to master your fear. Any soldier or other serviceman would be scared to go into battle, but would be able to do their duty without letting the fear control them.

I like this detail of the memorial.