Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Ropa Vaquera

Boot Store

I'm brushing up my Spanish for reasons that will become apparent on Sunday. These days, when I try to think of a word in Spanish, French comes into my head. When we were in France last summer, I would often remember the Spanish term for something. It's fortunate that I'm not planning a trip to Italy.

We have a small Latino population by US standards but what we have is centered around Cherokee Street. There are a few Mexican clothing and beauty supply shops. You can buy outrageously ornate cowboy boots. (Ropa vaquera means cowboy clothing.) At one shop they have on offer, in descending order, exotic boots (as above); Texanas, which is just the feminine form of Texan, so go figure; cowboy clothing; work shoes; and exotic jewelry from New York. Use your imagination.

You can also review upcoming Mexican musical events. Here's a video from the band headlining the show, which, for reasons that completely escape me, is set in Brooklyn.                          

Latinos Beauty

Los Huricanes del Norte

7 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

A friend learned a few important Spanish words when we visited the Canary Islands many years ago. One phrase was "there's a dog under the table". Very useful!

Try downloading Babbel.com to your smartphone.

Luis Gomez said...

Buenisimas fotos Bob.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Somehow I can just see Ciel wearing a pair of those boots Bob :)

William Kendall said...

Those are definitely rather over the top boots!

Birdman said...

Love Tex-Mex music. Might be in line for a pair a boots this spring. An alter-ego of mine.

cieldequimper said...

I think I actually like the boots on the far left. Les bottes de cowboy tout à gauche. Don't try my Spanish.

Jack said...

I love those boots. I have a terrific pair of cowboy boots I bought on impulse a few years ago. Where can I wear cowboy boots in Connecticut or Florida?