Friday, April 13, 2007

Friday Arch Supplement

IMG_0034


Hey it's been great lending my eye to my hometown for a few days. Here's a shot I took in September 2004 when I took a trip up inside the Arch for the first time in many years. It's a little claustrophobic in the capsules that take you up the leg. But I think it's a pretty awesome experience. When you get to the top you are standing within the triangular segments that make up the structure, with one corner pointing down. So the walls slope in towards the floor, and if you scoot up on a little ledge you can look directly down. It's a fairly dizzying experience, in a good way as far as I'm concerned. The vertigo is amplified in high winds since the Arch is designed to sway as much as 18 inches! That's in a 150 mile per hour wind. But you might feel a little shimmy if you're lucky. So go up in it if you are in town!

So long for now STLMDPB! Remember to check me out in Chicago.

6 comments:

Olivier said...

bravo pour tes deux dernieres photos, les prises de vue sont tres originales. bon weekend

cheer for your two last photographs, the catches of sight are very original. good weekend

Sally said...

I've often wondered what it's like that arch, and now I know! Thanks.

Olive said...

18 inches! that's a lot for such a big structure, no??
I love the shadow, particularly 'cause the grass it is on is SO green!

edwin s said...

ooh...my legs would turn to jelly! a stunning view no doubt :)

Ming the Merciless said...

Brilliant shot! I could really feel the height in the photo. I didn't know there is an observation deck on top of the arch.

JaamZIN said...

this photo is INCREDIBLE!:)