Tuesday, January 21, 2020

CANDY


My children were born in 1976 and 1980. Being responsible, modern parents, Mrs C and I were careful about their diets, particularly sugar. But the whole thing got blown to hell when we visited my father's house in New Jersey. (My mother had died some time before.)

My father spent almost all of his career in the industrial sugar business. The company for which he was sales manager were middlemen between sugar refiners and bulk users. Back in the day he sold Pepsi all its sugar. For most of that time he literally worked on Wall Street, but in commodities, not securities. Nice picture of his beautiful old office building here

Anyway, he doted on his grandchildren. He modified a big bookcase in his home to fill two long shelves with glass candy candy jars. We'd come in and he'd call out "Candy store's open!" to our kids. We were powerless. If we put up a peep of objection he always replied "Sugar is only 14 calories per teaspoon!"

And they seem okay today. This photo is of a former candy wholesaler on Locust Street in Midtown.

      

4 comments:

Sharon said...

You made me think of the time a group of us visited the Crown Candy Store. That was a treat. I love the photo of the old office building. I wonder if it's still standing.

William Kendall said...

A wonderful old ghost sign.

Rockinon said...

Your story made me smile. Considering the era, I'm with your dad. A little candy is a guilty pleasure and not something to get too concerned over. Now, a lot of sugar, too many candies too often, that's another matter. Grandpa was making memories.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Love that story Bob, grandparents privileges right! Gorgeous ghost signs here 💙