Monday, June 25, 2007

Working River

Few of my posts have included the Mississippi River. After all, it's the reason why my city exists. This was shot just south of the Arch. The bridge in the background ir the main highway viaduct, carrying three Interstate highways from Missouri into Illinois.

St. Louisans don't go the river much. It isn't pretty. It's wide and muddy, and carries a huge volume of barge traffic up to Minneapolis-St. Paul and down to New Orleans. The Mississippi is America's inland bulk freight hauler. Watch for more pictures of the river in the coming days and weeks.

TOMORROW: We're here. We're queer. Get used to it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife and I spent a day going west along the Ohio river. Most of the time we could see the river from the street or road. It was not the most pleasant drive we have taken but we found it interesting. I like your picture too because it reminded me of our trip.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

Kate said...

I LOVE the Mississippi and photos of it. I'm so glad I live within walking distance of it!!