Thursday, June 28, 2007

Thursday Arch Series

One of the few night time shots I have of the Arch. I'm not a late night guy at my advancing age. This was shot in December 2006. Our office had the holiday party on a boat on the Mississippi: dinner (mediocre), dancing (music supplied by an iPod whose owner had bad taste) and a cruise on the river along an industrial area. On a dank, overcast night. Did I mention that it was pitch black?

But I brought my camera and a small tripod. I tried to take some pictures as the boat was docking but the damn thing wouldn't stop its throbbing engine. When I started editing the pictures, I decided that I actually liked this effect - grainy, shot at ASA 3200 equivalent, and soft focus caused by the motion of the boat.

Since I started this blog I've noticed lots of thing I want to shoot at night. That will have to wait a few months until it gets dark earlier.

TOMORROW: From one extreme to another

7 comments:

Kate said...

I like this photo quite a bit--an unusual angle for the trademark arch!

Olivier said...

belle photo, j'aime beaucoup l'eclairage par en dessous

beautiful photograph, I like much lighting by in lower part

JaamZIN said...

its an artistic photo! great!

Stephane said...

Very nice ! I like it.

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Wow, what a grumpy grinch you are! I like how you portray your camera as your savior from the crappy party.

Anonymous said...

i like this shot a lot! i also like the background info regarding your camera, music, and all the additional bits about the night you took it.

Dsole said...

beautiful!
I have posted some arches for today too!
nice weekend!