Sunday, December 9, 2007

Santa On Skates

Problem: what can you shoot for your blog when there's been a cold drizzle for a week and the city looks like the outside of a haggis? I look through the weekly "What's On" section of our Thursday newspaper for ideas. There it was, in small print at the bottom of a column: Steinberg Skating Rink, Saturday 1 to 3 PM - Skating with Santa. Bingo. Photographer's treasure.

Santa saw me taking pictures and came over to the rail to pose with this beautiful little girl. I got chatting with her mother and Santa himself. They asked for my card (every photographer needs a couple of sets of Moo Cards, great mini-cards with an assortment of your pictures on one side). When he saw my card, Santa told me his last name was the same as mine - a not unheard of Irish surname but not very common (think of an Australian actor). I asked him his first name. Exactly the same as my father's. Creeped me out.
But then I went to a great Hanukkah party last night. It brought me back around.


TOMORROW:
Steel Jaws Of Destruction

11 comments:

Kate said...

These are wonderful photographs. I like both of them; the portrait is a treasure, and the skating shot is terrific. Nice job!!

Rob said...

Great to skate with Santa. Kids of all ages are having fun here.

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Well captured with the lighting. I like the misty backgrounds.

iBlowfish said...

Great story and excellent shot. I really like your idea to carry a card while shooting outdoor.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

WOW! Love it! Very cool! :-D

A santa with a real BEARD! YAY!

Nice shots! FUN!

Anonymous said...

Yes! What a beautiful little girl :D
Merry Christmas!!!

Annie said...

I'll crowe about your Santa photo today!

Olivier said...

il est sportif et sympathique le père noël. beau portrait

It is sporty and friendly Santa. Beautiful portrait

Curly said...

That is a GREAT Santa portrait, looks like they all had fun.

from South Shields Daily Photo

M. CHRISTOPHE said...

Good idea, nice shots.

Ming the Merciless said...

Great looking Santa (face-wise) but he's a little too thin (2nd photo).

Wow, the story is almost as amazing me finding out you grew up on the street that I now live on.