Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Polarizing Issues

After shooting the sledders on Art Hill, I walked over to the St. Louis Zoo, a short distance away. It's one of the very best in the United States. The zoo was quiet and covered in snow. It's open every day of the year but there were few visitors on a chilly December afternoon. I hoped that the cold weather animals would come out to play.

There was one lonely polar bear. He or she (I am not an expert in these matters) paced up and down, looking quite forlorn. During the time I watched, the bear became bored and sleepy, eventually setting down in a snow-comforter for a nap. I felt sorry for it. Most of our zoo has been transformed, with animals in spacious areas resembling their natural environments. Not so for this claustrophobic enclosure. No tundra or ice floes anywhere in sight.

BEFORE

AFTER


TOMORROW: Thursday Arch series (but not the usual kind)

12 comments:

Olivier said...

rien de mieux qu'une bonne sieste pendant la journée, voila un ours qui sait vivre

Nothing better than a good nap during the day, here is a bear who knows how to live

Mitch said...

I love this! I'm sitting here in chilly Minneapolis, half awake and typing away at the coffee shop. This big guy is just how I feel. That yawn is perfect! All he needs is a paper and a cup of joe.

Thanks!

- Mitch, Daily Minneapolis Photographer

TORUŃ DAILY PHOTO said...

Oh wow! Some amazing close up shots here! Love them! Seasons Greetings from TORUŃ DP!

Anonymous said...

Those are fabulous close-ups - I hope if I get to snap any animals I can do as well. That bear looks how I feel - knackered!

Jackie
Glasgow Daily Photo

Rob said...

Perfect capture! Sometimes I feel this way too while sitting here, in my fabric box, (cubicle). And yes, I have been known to doze off for a moment or three. difference is, come 4:30pm, I can freely leave Office Cell 2A in Cell Block A.

Jen said...

Love the polar bears. Love the zoo. Spent many evidence classes watching the sea lions gets fed. So much now when I am stumped on a evidence issue, I hear the barking of the sea lions.

Jen said...

I am a bear myself. Wash U alum here. Just a hop skip and jump away from the zoo.

Janet said...

A really beautiful bear.

Ioanna said...

I don't believe you!!! Greeeeaaaat photos! Thanks!

Fabrizio Zanelli said...

I absolutely don't like zoo because I don't like the idea to keep prisoners any sort of animal but I must admit that these close-ups are absolutely great and funny :-)

Kate said...

The bear seems to find kindred spirits among your viewers; we all seem to want to join him/her in a snooze!

Ming the Merciless said...

The first bear photo is amazing. You caught him yawning in a perfect "human expression" -- covering his mouth with his paw.