Sunday, December 23, 2007

Placebo

We haven't had a Christmas tree in years and years. For as long as I can remember, we've been in the air or on the road to see family in Kansas or New Jersey on December 26, so why leave the fire hazard at home, dessicating in the dry winter air? We are a close family but not sentimental. (Erma Bombeck said that happiness is when the kids leave home and the dog dies.)

So, can the Tastes family make an arboreal gesture? I went up to Art Hill and took some pictures of Placebo by Roxy Paine, a bare, stainless steel tree beside the art museum. Very elegant, very cool and makes its own twinkling lights. Big family gift exchange and dinner Saturday night before one division splits for Houston to see in-laws on Sunday. Our family is generous but did I score a good one.

TOMORROW: What a great gift for a photographer

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Good use of black and white. Mmmmm.

Kate said...

I don't think you need a tree to celebrate and to understand the meaning of Christmas. But, I still want one during the holidays. Old habits die hard. Anxious to see what your photographer's gift will be!!

Olivier said...

comme je ne pourrais pas revenir sur ton blog aujourd'hui, je te souhaite un JOYEUX NOEL

As I could not go back on your blog today, I wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS

Ming the Merciless said...

Was this photo taken some time ago? Because the tree is now in NYC, one of three at Madison Square Park. I believei they were there since May 2007.

Looking forward to meeting you later during the week.

Am doing a proper Jewish Christmas ritual -- dim-sum in Chinatown for brunch with my Jewish friends (I'm not Jewish though). Then a proper Christmas dinner with my Christian friends. :-)

I'm an equal opportunity celebrant, otherwise known as glutton.