Friday, May 7, 2021

HONEY BEARS

I've got some nice springtime shots in the botanical I haven't posted but I could use some new material. This wall painting faces a parking lot in the Grand Centre (they use the British spelling) arts district. The figure is a squeezable container in which honey is commonly sold here. Why pick that? I get the reference to the visual arts and the symphony hall is nearby. However, the arena where the beloved hockey team plays is two or three miles away and I don't get the top hat at all. It's not like we have a lot of white tie events and such plutocrats as we got are much more discrete.          

3 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

We call those guys honey bears...and I think the artist was trying to pull together several interests of the population (thinking they are all sweet bears perhaps!)

William Kendall said...

I like it.

B said...

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/artsblog/2019/07/18/honey-bears-by-artist-fnnch-rise-on-huge-new-mural-in-grand-center

Each bear will have a theme: a paintbrush symbolizing St. Louis’ art culture, a top hat to the “gilded age past of St. Louis,” a hockey stick symbolizing the Blues winning the Stanley Cup and a bear with a violin to represent the performing arts scene in St. Louis.