Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Bull's Eye

The Second Ammendment to the U.S. Constitution provides that "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." We have been vehemently arguing about what that means for more than two centuries. Some Americans feel that gun ownership is a most fundamental right. The late actor Charlton Heston, for many years the president of the National Rifle Association, once said that "I'll give you my gun when you take it from my cold, dead hands." Other Americans, including the members of this household, are horrified by our country's gun culture.

The place in these photos is very plain. It makes its presence and purpose clear but there are no windows to reveal what happens inside. What's your view on who should have guns and under what circumstances?

Tomorrow: Thursday Arch Series

2 comments:

Ming the Merciless said...

When I was a freshman in college in Louisiana, the girl sitting next to me in Chemistry 101 opened her pocket book to look for her calculator, and a hand gun fell out on her lap. I was shocked and horrified. And she was a sweet 18-year old girl.

Another time, a friend and I went on a road trip to Dallas. She asked me to get her the map in her glove compartment and I found a pistol in there. :-)

Eye Lasik said...

If humans we act with conscience and talking, there was no reason to use firearms in any circumstances. Unfortunately the world is corrupt and there are countries that want more power stealing land from others, there are also those criminals who have to defend ourselves.