Saturday, December 29, 2012

Dining In Manhattan


NYC 2012-12-27 7

You don't need a bank loan to get something to eat in Manhattan (although it really would help in some establishments). Sabrett hot dogs sold from pushcarts have been around since my childhood and, no doubt, long before. There is another brand, Hebrew National, renowned for its quality because it is kosher. The rabbis ain't letting any pork snouts into them, no sir.

The choices these days are wider. If you don't want kosher you can get hallal or load up on falafel. If the warmth of a restaurant is preferable on a cold day, you can't spend that much at the Hard Rock Cafe (although you will certainly spend more than the food is worth). If the restaurant added an eighth day it might get an apparition of The Beatles.

FLYING WITH CARDINALS: No, not Adam Wainwright or Yadier Molina from the local baseball team. We have a lot of American Airlines points and wangled an upgrade on our way home yesterday. We ended up sitting across the aisle from His Eminence, Timothy Cardinal Dolan, Archbishop of New York. He's from St. Louis. Cardinal Dolan is a tall, portly man, two weeks older than me (I looked it up). He wore a very plain wristwatch, a muted jacquard-patterned sweater over his priest's shirt, ordered the barbecue chicken salad rather than the hummus and pita plate and didn't drink alcohol (unlike us). He is known for his hard conservative theological views but was very pleasant to everyone. He read The Wall Street Journal. I guess it counts as a celebrity sighting.       

NYC 2012-12-27 20

NYC 2012-12-27 9

6 comments:

s.c said...

Great text accompanied by nice streetshots. I like it very much.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I should imagine there's something something for all tastes and budgets in a city like NY Bob..glad you had such a brilliant time there.

William Kendall said...

Nice streetshots, Bob.

I do know there's a restaurant somewhere in NYC that's developed a poutine based menu....

Lynette said...

Another fine post and the photos to go with it, Bob. Thanks!

Jack said...

I am such a wuss . . . I never eat anything bought at those carts because I don't trust their hygiene. Yes, I think spotting a cardinal counts as a celebrity sighting. My flights usually have sports announcers on them because ESPN is in Bristol, Connecticut.

Kim said...

Bob the tabloid writer. . .er, I mean intrepid reporter and food columnist. Such an entertaining (and hunger producing post--heading to the kitchen right now to make a very unkosher BLT. Your NYC night shots are wonderful!
-Kim