Monday, December 10, 2012

Artes Litterae

.
St. Louis Central Library Reopening 1

Artes Litterae - literary arts - are one of the foundations of libraries. The Central Branch of the St. Louis Public Library, established in 1912, had its reopening yesterday and, ladies and gentlemen, it is spectacular. Literature and anything else you could want in print abounds. The architecture is stunning.

I took a lot of pictures, maybe enough for this whole week. These are a first few edits. Above, one of a pair of stained glass windows at the top of the twin staircases leading up from the the central hall. We'll get to the other one. The second picture was shot in the main conference room. It appears that a few details still need to be straightened out. At the bottom, one of a set of huge - what? - Gummi Bears? - that welcome visitors to the children's room.

Lots more to edit.

St. Louis Central Library Reopening 2

St. Louis Central Library Reopening 3

7 comments:

Olivier said...

ce vitrail est superbe..et le grand nounours , il est en gelatine ? on peut le manger ? ;))

cieldequimper said...

The stained glass is magnificent. I want that Gummibärchen.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

I remember going to the St. Louis County main library on Lindbergh Blvd. near Clayton Road many times, but I don't think I very went to the St. Louis City library. I don't even know where it is.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I just knew when I saw the restored facade a few posts back that the inside would be fantastic also Bob, the stained glass window at the top of the stairs is too beautiful.

Pat said...

Like Dave, I don't recall where this library is. My wife always talks about the private Mercantile Library downtown. Is that still around?

William Kendall said...

I love that stained glass shot!

Jack said...

The stained glass looks like Tiffany. It is spectacular.