Thursday, August 19, 2010

Thursday Arch Series

.
Arch 2010-08-14 - 1 - Holga IR
A few years ago, I had my first DSLR, a Canon 10D, modified, replacing the light sensor with an infrared chip. The idea was to get the same effect as infrared film. It was fussy to use and I didn't get good results. Now we do it in the computer and it's hard to tell the difference. So, this dramatic picture of the Arch was made with a virtual infrared effect. Not bad.

AND THE WINNER IS: yesterday I asked if anyone cared to guess where Mr. and Mrs. Crowe are off to next week, based on just a few hints. The correct answer came from our friend Cieldequimper of Versailles Daily Photo. We arrive in Dublin, Ireland, on Tuesday. After some time there it's up to Northern Ireland for several days, then back to the Republic before returning home. C de Q gets a print of the STL DPB image of her choice.

Several people guessed Seattle, a reasonable choice based on the hints. The critical difference is the statement about the black liquid the locals drink that is supposed to be good for you. Seattleites like the jolt from their coffee but I don't think they would claim health benefits. On the other hand, for many years the slogan of Ireland's favorite beverage was "Guinness is good for you." Your opinion may differ but that's what they say.


7 comments:

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Not bad? I should say. Freakin' good, if you ask me.

Shar 'n begorrah, have a great trip in Ireland. Both of them.

cieldequimper said...

Encore merci.

I was going to say that I wondered how you had obtained this effect. Now I know! Well, no not really, but it just goes to show how little I know about computer infrared.

Olivier said...

l'abus de Guinness peut faire faire de drôle de photos d'éléphants roses ;o))

Virginia said...

I'll stick to a Corona with lime s'il vous plait. Have a grand trip. I can hardly wait to see your pictures!!!!
Meanwhile down here, this magnolia is wilting!
V

Virginia said...

Sorry, forgot to say how cool that shot is today. I'm with Ciel, no clue what all that's about.
V

PJ said...

I'm glad to see this newest addition to the series, especially the ethereal quality near the top of the arch. Dreamy overall.

T. Becque said...

Love this. Great dramatic effect. Have a great trip to Ireland!