Thursday, October 20, 2022

STL DPB ON THE ROAD - MISERY

This show has been playing in this theater for decades. It's a wonder that it still sells tickets but it does. The image brought back a memory.

August 1989. I had a big herniated lumbar disc and was scheduled for surgery the next month. Bad pain down my left leg when I was up very much. Our family had scheduled a trip to London and Ireland before my injury. I asked my surgeon whether I could go. He gave me a prescription for Vicodin and said to do what I wanted.

So off we went with a rented wheelchair. We went to this show, with me sitting in a handicapped area at the back. I have a strong memory of sitting in my chair on this corner in the West End swirl after the show, trying to wave down a taxi from a position where I was very hard to see. Let's say it took a while.

There were some benefits from this situation. My wife and I got into the London Zoo for free because I was an "invalid" and she was my "pusher." And later, when we got to Ireland, I found that Vicodin and Guinness was the perfect pain cocktail.             

3 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

Ha, quite the story.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh my...a very interesting cocktail. I had a similar experience (no Vicodin though) following pneumonia which really knocked me out. Visitors the next month wanted to go to our most famous tourist attraction (sans the leaves of autumn) the Biltmore Mansion and grounds. They made a reservation for dinner, and when I got there, they gave me a wheelchair. It was great, except most of the mansion is up stairs. But I did see the various sites, and took active part in the wine tasting.

William Kendall said...

Ouch! Beautiful building though.