Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Flip Side

.
Desperate for material as usual (exploring new dimensions in overwork this week), this is the flip side of yesterday's photo, taken from the outside.

I haven't shot this work so close before. There is a gentle slope covered with water in front of it. This time I decided what the heck, stand in the water. It's only a couple of centimeters deep. I had not noticed the crosshatch texture of the surface or the hole over the left eye. The blankness of the eyes jumps out but is that a hint of a smile? This is a mysterious work of art.

9 comments:

Olivier said...

une belle dormeuse...vraiment elle est belle cette statue

Chuck Pefley said...

Great "outside-in" duo. Interesting you posted yesterday's in bw but left today's in rgb. I suppose all sorts of Freudian interpretations could be attached to these two images.

Sorry to hear you've reached new heights in the "overwork" dept. -:)

Virginia said...

That hollow stare still makes me slightly ununeasy, but I like the close up so that the variations of color are apparent. Standing in water for a shot. Thatta boy!!!
V

Virginia said...

Monsieur Crowe, I left you a smarty answer on Victor's comments.

Wayne said...

centimetres? STLDP appears to have gone metric.

Canada has been metric for 30 years and I still can't tell how many centimetres in an inch without looking it up.

cieldequimper said...

Despite the cold and eerie eyes, I like this statue. Hope you didn't catch a cold.

PJ said...

It's easy to lose perspective, but don't worry. This is a great, I wish we had some great public art. I'm jealous.

Jilly said...

This and yesterday's are fantastic. What stunning work and so beautifully photographed. Love the colours, the patina. Fascinating art.

Stessie said...

This is a stunning photograph Bob. The colors are subtle but luminescent at the same time. I need lessons from you:)