Friday, May 30, 2008

South Soulard

I've had a notice on this blog for a long time that if people, groups or organizations would like to be featured here they should just e-mail me. Well, someone finally did. Soulard is an eclectic neighborhood just south of downtown. A member of the local community association saw my blog and invited me to photograph a ceremony marking the restoration of three beautiful old homes. This was in a sub-district called South Soulard, a little jewel of a neighborhood tucked in a corner between the huge Anheuser-Busch brewery and I 55. I drive around my city on weekends looking for places to photograph but I've never been here.

An anchor of the neighborhood is the Clydesdale Cottage, a charming B & B owned by Maureen and Ray Kanski. It's been open about a year. The name refers to Anheuser-Busch's Clydesdale horses, a symbol of A-B's Budweiser beer. The bathrooms all have newly-made stained glass windows; this picture is an example. More about South Soulard, the ceremony and the Clydesdale Cottage over the next few days.


6 comments:

Raquel Sabino Pereira said...

Wonderful photo!!!!!

ananda.tashie said...

Yummy. :) (Yes, my intellectual comment for the day.)

Mary Helen said...

Beautiful! It's neat to get an invite to photograph and then feature on your site, I'm glad the locals are reading your site. That's pretty neat.
mary

iBlowfish said...

Yes, the picture is more powerful with story in your post. And congratulation that someone in your community has seen and appreciated your blog with invitation to their restoration.

Pat said...

This is lovely; I like the colors, and it cools me off on this hot Belgrade day.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is an absolutely stunning picture. Just beautiful. You've got a really good eye for close-ups.