Monday, August 17, 2009

World Naked Bike Ride, St. Louis Edition

.
Saturday night brought the World Naked Bike Ride to The Lou. The slogan is "bare as you dare" and the cause is to protest dependence on oil. There is a good history and analysis of the event here.

The ride takes place in 70 cities. This was the second run in St. Louis.
This couple had on about the average amount of covering. (Note the woman's headlights. Uh, head...?) A few bikers wore a lot less. Now, since this is a proper town, appearing in public with the naughty bits uncovered is prohibited. Fortunately, the St. Louis Police Department forgot their night vision goggles and nobody got busted.

There is is a growing set of my pix from WNBR on Flickr here, including the naughty bits, or most of them. Note that you will not see all the photos in this set if you do not have a Flickr account or have your filter set to Safe. In accordance with Flickr's rules, any pictures showing more skin than is allowed on U.S. over-the-air television have been classified as Medium. Some people were nakeder than than others so set your filter accordingly.

I think we'll have some more of this silliness TOMORROW.

BY THE WAY, STL DPB welcomes a new St. Louis photoblog, Merry@St. Louis. It's nice to have another pair of eyes on this city. Merry and I have exchanged email but have not met. I know her husband from my work. They moved here about a year ago from upstate New York. I greatly recommend the weekly essay on his blog, St. Louis Sojourn, in which he writes lucidly about his experiences as a transplant to the Midwest.

7 comments:

Virginia said...

B,
How many times do I have to tell you it's NEKKID (nekkider) !!! I saw 'em all and I didn't blush. I did laugh out loud a few times though. I love it that Flickr is looking out for our well being. I'll sleep better tonight.

This is a great shot and all I can say is those headlights aren't......well never mind. I think you went above and beyond the call of duty on this assignment. Hey, somebody had to cover it didn't they?? :)
V

Victor said...

I'm amazed that well into the 21st century nekkidness is still against the law. But I once played a gig at a nudist camp and that wasn't nearly as exciting as one might think so maybe those prudish statutes have merit after all. Anyway, nice photo and great set on Flickr too. Thanks Bob.

cieldequimper said...

I'm somewhat disappointed. :-)

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Yeah they do have this in Chi too. It was a few months back, and I had other plans so couldn't scope (or participate - which I wouldn't put past me). Here's another fun bike thing they have in STL too, although you may have missed it yesterday:
http://www.urbanassaultride.com/inside.php?page=stlouis

I may not do it here next month, but will try to cover it at least.

Merry@Syracuse said...

Hey, thanks for the welcome, Bob. We're havin' fun and enjoyin' the sights here in the mid-West. We watched WNBR from the church steps on Russell, cheered and grinned, and who knows, maybe next year...!

Ming the Merciless said...

Wish I was there to PARTICIPATE in the ride. :-)

Virginia said...

Oh yeah, easy for MIng to say since he missed the bike in the buff event! HA I can't get past the seat/bum discomfort thing. Is my age showing??? Yikes I think so. Well whatever. I'm waiting for this to catch on in Birmingham and I WILL BE ON IT BOB!
V