Friday, August 28, 2009

La Riviere

.
One of the best things about our new Citygarden is that when I'm out of new pix to post I can always go there and get something interesting. It's a block and a half from my office. Aristide Maillol's La Riviere is one of the works in the garden I keep coming back to. Click the link to listen to the audio clips about the works and sculptors recently added to Citygarden's web site.

A very nice invitation came my way yesterday. A few of you know that I have rheumatoid arthritis that affects my hands. The Milliken Hand Institute at Washington University School of Medicine does ingenious work keeping my fingers straight. I was over there yesterday getting my brace adjusted. They have recently painted the suite and have lots of blank wall space. The staff knows about my photography addiction and invited me to shoot a series of hand pictures to decorate the place. This could be a lot of fun.

And another 15 minutes of fame: the web site for Fodor's Travel Guides had a photo contest this summer for pix of Argentina. You could upload up to five. There were a lot of entries. I got an email yesterday that they gave two of mine honorable mention. Not in the top three places, but getting two selected was nice. I get four Fodor's travel books as a prize. The winners will be on their web site about September 15 but you can see mine now here and here.

9 comments:

Sharon said...

This one made me smile when it opened. I love Maillol's work

Luis Gomez said...

Great image! Sounds like good news all over. Shooting hands and traveling guides, congrats!

Olivier said...

Bravo pour la sélection de tes photos, et cela peut être intéressant de faire des photos a l'université de médecine. On attend le résultat.
Bravo for the selection of your photographs, and it can be interesting to make photographs has the university of medicine. They wait for result.

cieldequimper said...

Well done! I love the gloves. Do you get to choose which books? ;-)I'm like Olivier, I'll be waiting for the medicine school pics. As for Maillol, an ingenious and surprising angle makes this a beautiful shot.

Buenos Aires Photoblog said...

Congrats on your success! Your Argentina pictures are wonderful. Looking forward to seeing your 'hand' pictures soon. (;

Dan Jaboor said...

It looks like you even got your first hand photo too! I had the thought the other day to do a series similar to your artist portraits, but photos of artists' hands......

Meri said...

That invitation is a perfect therapy -- letting your hands reach out and touch others. Way to go!

Virginia said...

Well the Hand Institute and Fodor's are both pretty damn smart to choose you B. I can't wait to see you online and see your hand study. You will be most sensitive to that one I"m sure. Bravo mon ami! Very well deserved!!!

I like this take on the statue as well. Interesting!!!!
V

the queen said...

The most evocative hand I know of in Saint Louis is in an area hospital - DePaul? It is a cast of some famous surgeons hand, made I believe after his death. Look it up. Creepy.