Friday, August 21, 2009

Geppetto's Hammer

.
Similar to Wednesday's post, fooling around in Citygarden with a wide angle lens and hand-held HDR. This is another view of Tom Otterness' Kindly Geppetto. There's a front-on look at the statue in my post of July 11. This hammer-wielding puppet maker doesn't seem kindly to me.

I noticed when I was editing this picture that Geppetto is left handed. Does that mean anything? Maybe. In Renaissance iconography, the right is protected by God while the left is open to danger. That's why Michelangelo's David looks cautiously to that side, maybe for things like Geppetto.

Up to Chicago today and tomorrow on business. Unfortunately, not likely to have time for photography.

6 comments:

Virginia said...

I'm not sure about Geppetto either. I still think he's fixin' to whack the daylights out of Pinocchio! Oh, and your link doesn't go to the 11th but that's good cause somehow I had missed those shots from the baseball game you took of the policemen etc. Was that Darth Vader coming in over the field?? Yikes!

Have a safe trip and say hey to A. pour moi!

Meri said...

The left-right symbolism makes sense -- the word for left was sinister. Isn't it amusing that so many creative people are left-handed? We must be dangerous!

cieldequimper said...

I had missed the original post. It's a nice "little" sculpture, but Geppetto must have been angry.

Anonymous said...

That's an excellent photo...very nice....

Ming the Merciless said...

I never heard of the symbolism/iconography that denotes right hand as justice and the left as evil/danger. I guess we learn something new every day.

FYI, I'm right handed. :-)

Buenos Aires Photoblog said...

Wow, that looks really plastic. Interesting post and commentaries!