Monday, May 4, 2009

The People's Joy Parade

.
It didn't look very Mexican but it was a lot of fun. The Cinco de Mayo festival had a parade for the first time, a come-as-you-are affair for the decidedly eccentric. The impresario was St. Louis artist Sarah Paulsen. She was one of the first people I photographed when I started going around to artists' studios and saying, "Hi, I'm Bob Crowe. Can I take your portrait?" Luckily for my self-esteem she did not give me the heave ho. The portrait turned out pretty well. You can see my photograph of Sarah here.

More from Cinco de Mayo
tomorrow.



7 comments:

Olivier said...

c'est halloween avant l'heure ;o) superbe les déguisements
it is Halloween early ;o) haughtiness fancy dresses

Stefan Jansson said...

Great photos. We don't really have parades like this where I live so It's always fun to see!

Anonymous said...

Neat photos. I liked their sign.

Virginia said...

I remember Sarah very well. I loved the artwork behind her as well. I think you stumbled upon a fun event here B. I got a chuckly out of these! My grandson Davis enjoyed looking at them too.
V

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

This looks like a hoot! Sort of combo dia de los muertos and mardi gras or something.

PeterParis said...

May is obvioulsy a month of holidays ans celebrations all over!

Carraol said...

Great photos of this parade, it looks almost like a carnival with a lot of music and fun. Its strange that 5 of May celebrates with parades in some cities of USA and not properly in Mexico, only in festival schools. Greetings from MC and thanks a lot for your kind words.