Friday, July 25, 2008

Portraits of St. Louis Artists: Sarah Paulsen


Sarah Paulsen's studio is in same group of old commercial buildings as Craig Woods'. Some of the spaces are dug into the hillside leading down to the Mississippi and feel like bunkers. Paulsen's area, which she shares with Lisa Payne (whom I photographed at last year's open house), is on the top level and feels closer to the sun. It contains lovely watercolor sketches and photos of her grand tour of South America. I told her the painting on the wall behind her in this image reminded me of Max Beckman, who once taught at Washington University in St. Louis and has a room to himself at the St. Louis Art Museum. She told me that she had spent many hours in that room and that Beckman had been a great influence on her work.

You can see Paulsen's painting for the STL artists open house catalog here. She has also begun to create clever animations. Take a look at Midwest Hair and Begin. You'll enjoy them.

BY THE WAY, for my St. Louis readers: if you are an artist or know an artist who would like to be featured in this series and get some publicity, plus a free portrait to use, please click the link to my profile and email me.

WHAT I'M PISSED OFF ABOUT: The Canon factory service center has had my good camera, my 5D, for the better part of the last month and a half, now back for the third time for the same problem. Whah, whah, whah.
TOMORROW:
St. Louis artists portraits continue with Stan Chisholm, who is a bit hard to characterize, but that's because he's so original.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the portrait.

Hate the news about Canon. I would have thought they knew better.

Have a nice weekend,

Abraham Lincoln
—Brookville Daily Photo

Virginia said...

Great portrait and I love Sarah's confident stance! I also enjoyed the mini course on Beckman. Interesting work he did as well. Sorry about your camera, at least you must have a backup. If Canon had mine, I'd be using one of those teensy throw away jobs. And WHERE are the tunes today???? See, you've spoiled us.

crittoria said...

Wonderful portrait. I agree with virginia, she looks very confident, but she is also very relaxed, which makes for a better portrait. Great work!

Knoxville Girl said...

The colors she's wearing match her watercolor palette. Her personality permeates her work (and your portrait too)

Jilly said...

What a wonderful series of portraits. You really have the knack of making your subjects relax. How do you do that? I snap my portraits without them knowing - I fear I'd get a frozen look if I asked people to pose.

Jill said...

I have been enjoying your series of artists.