Sunday, December 13, 2020

TCHAIKOVSKY

I loved music as a child and was fortunate that my mother did as well. In the late 50s or early 60s, our family had a record player in our apartment, a big console that had a turntable for LP vinyl albums. She had some classical music albums that I would play over and over, not the least The Nutcracker. I was transfixed by the mixture of celesta and woodwinds in the Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy, https://youtu.be/UYaIQNjAX_8, and swept away by the Waltz of the Flowers, https://youtu.be/LKcZL8q1eBw.These are some of my happiest memories from childhood. 

Now the botanical garden recreates a bit of it with light projections on Henry Shaw's mansion. The son et lumière show is remarkable. It's tricky, though. Note how the Nutcracker's green staff is offset near the top by a cornice of the building.  

3 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Before I was 8, my mother and grandmother took me to a ballet performance of the Nutcracker. I was thrilled. This was before TV. Live performances were the best way to experience the music and theatrical ballet!

Sharon said...

This is wonderful! I love it.

William Kendall said...

Wow!