Sunday, December 20, 2020

ONE THAT DIDN'T MAKE IT

The diner seen in the last two days' posts, recently known as the White Knight, has been a fixture on the west edge of downtown for ages, now barely hanging on. This one is just south of the center and has been around at least since I showed up here for college in the late 60s. It was mostly a 24 hour operation and was well-patronized by late-night partiers of all kinds.

I got an email bulletin from the local newspaper that it had closed without notice late Friday or early Saturday morning. Now it sits at 7th and Chouteau boarded up. I ran out with my camera to pay my respects.  

            

3 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

A sad sign of the times. I will have to check and see if Vegabaren is still open. That is the place where I used to go once every year for the big car meet.

Sharon said...

Oh wow, thanks for getting this photo. What a shame. It's been operating for so long. I'm going to send a link to this post to my friend David. He and I used to go here. I still have one of their coffee cups that I use for pens and pencils in my kitchen.

William Kendall said...

It seems to be happening in a lot of places.