Tuesday, December 22, 2020

I GOT IT, SORT OF

The weather was perfect in St. Louis last night to view the planetary conjunction. The family went out for a look, me carrying a camera and tripod. Now, I know nothing about astronomical photography and may not have proper equipment. At least I got a picture with a little horizon and separation between Jupiter and Saturn.

The second photo is severely cropped. What is that diagonal series of reddish dots? Research by ever-alert Mrs. C confirms that they are moons of Jupiter: Ganymede, Io and Callisto. Lucky catch! See https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/how-to-see-jupiters-moons



4 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm guessing the moons of Jupiter. What great shots!

Stefan Jansson said...

Good one Bob.

Sharon said...

Good job!

William Kendall said...

Well taken! It was overcast here.

Is there a theme set up for January?