Thursday, May 28, 2020

USED BOOK STORE


There are still a number of used book stores around St. Louis. Maybe they are an anachronism, but there are still plenty in a time when booksellers like Barnes & Noble are closing. This is another business on Manchester Road in Maplewood, called The Book House, and its endurance deserves a link: https://www.bookhousestl.com/

I used to read a lot of books until the point in my career when the time demands became too great. There was also an issue of space: our house isn't very big and we ran out of places to put them all. (Why do we keep all those old books anyway?) Now if I want something in print I buy a Kindle book. They have no physical presence but I can carry a large library around with me, although I like the feel of a paper book better. I also listen to a lot of audiobooks since, like most Americans, I spend a fair amount of time in the car.


5 comments:

s.c said...

Nothing beats a good book, but where you leave them is indeed a problem where other things are also fighting for more and more space. The e-reader is indeed a good second.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I'm hooked on books too Bob, the real deal 😊 I had a look at the link to the The BookHouse it reminds me of my favourite second hand book shop Elizabeth's, it's been around for a very long time and hopefully for many years to come. Re your post a few back, we haven't ever had to wear masks but there are definitely strict rules about distancing and how many can enter shops at one time.

Sharon said...

I love that sign! My reading was a lot slower before this lockdown started. I had the same issue, not enough time. It seems like now all I have is time. I just finished reading that new book called "A Very Stable Genius" by Phillip Rucker and Carol Leonnig. It was a page turner and yet a difficult read. Difficult for no other reason than reliving all of DJT's horrible comments and nearly treasonous actions in such a short time frame simply takes your breath away. It was interesting though to read about things that happened around those incidents that we didn't hear about on the news. I picked up a good mystery to read after that and have enjoyed taking a bit of an escape from political reality.

Bill said...

When we lived in Portland, OR we used to stop by Powell's Bookstore a few times a month. We always came out with a book or two. My wife has a kindle but I don't like reading on a screen. Audio books are not for me, I'll probably nod off so I don't bother. I'm a book in the hand type person and that suits me. :)

William Kendall said...

I'd be happy in there.

I started re-reading Shelby Foote's three volume narrative of the Civil War recently. That'll take awhile.