Sunday, April 27, 2014

Yes, Definitely Left The Building

Elvis' Grave 1

Okay, what all the hokum was about the last couple of days was that I visited Graceland, Elvis Presley's home. It was disappointing. I was expecting something like Neuschwanstein with orange shag carpeting. It's a spacious house but no mansion, decorated in 50s-60s style by someone with more money than art history classes.

But it's a shrine. Geez, the guy's been dead 36 years and people still traipse through with awe and admiration, the way other tourists do at St. Peter's. I wonder how long it will be before the younger people don't recognize what it's about and forget him, sort of like my generation and, oh, Tommy Dorsey. Graceland may have a limited shelf live.

People leave things at the grave site, although I suspect they are carefully pruned by the staff after hours. But did Elvis go to Japan to view the cherry blossoms?

The anthropology expedition will continue.                          

 Elvis' Grave 3

Elvis' Grave 2

Graceland 1

4 comments:

Luis Gomez said...

Bob, what a wonderful set of images. Never been an Elvis fan but have always been fascinated by this kind fanaticism.

Norma said...

I've never been a big Elvis fan, but I do think he has that enduring quality that will stand the test of time.

William Kendall said...

I don't get it either...I do wonder in a century if he'll still be remembered.

Jack said...

Visiting Graceland? Not what I expected, Bob. I will have to take your word for it.