Monday, August 6, 2012

About The Green Monster

.
Fenway Park 21

This post is primarily for international readers. The shapes of baseball playing fields are not precisely defined, unlike almost all other sports. That's one of its charms. The infield, where the bases are, is always exactly the same. However, the broad outfield can be just about any shape or dimensions.

Most places are close to regular, like Busch Stadium in St. Louis. Some have odd features. Houston has a little hill straight in the back. But century-old Fenway Park is the most bizarre. It was squeezed into the narrow, irregular streets of Boston. Most places have seats around the edge of the outfield. Fenway's left field has a wall 37 feet / 11.3 meters tall, known as the Green Monster. To hit a home run, a batter must not only hit the ball far but loft it high to clear the Monster. Balls hit off the wall carrom at wild angles.

One more Fenway post tomorrow about the characters it contains. I'm writing this Sunday afternoon in the Boston airport. Reality tomorrow morning.

Fenway Park 18


Fenway Park 20

9 comments:

Olivier said...

je pensais que tu allais faire un post sur la NFL, la pre-saison a commence ;))) vive la NFL

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Bob, you are a New Yorker. The Polo Grounds where the Giants used to play was a bizarre shape for a baseball field.

cieldequimper said...

That's rather interesting for me as an international reader! :-)

Memphis MOJO said...

I remember the first time I walked into Fenway Park thinking Babe Ruth used to play here!

Pat said...

It is a must see place for any baseball or sports fan. I still remember the Fisk homerun that barely cleared the Monster back in 1975. Fortunately, my beloved Reds ended up winning that world series in the next game. I know the Cards have played two World series' in Fenway. In 2004 and 1967?

William Kendall said...

I'm not too much of a baseball fan, but I'd love to see a game at Fenway just once.

Birdman said...

Four milestones for me in that park First game doubleheader on a Sunday afternoon('55), me and Dad. Others claims to fame (or infame, if you will) Dad, my brother and I were behind 3rd base the night Tony C got hit by Jack Hamilton, We were there again for YAS Day... his last game and my son and I were there for Manny R. last game(June 30 '08), traded to LA after the game. Lots of games inbetween. Box seats are GREAT but grandstand seats down 1st base are brutal! Lots of lousy seats in that park.

roentare said...

I like the last photograph the best. A very significant day through your eyes

Jack said...

Nice discussion about the differences in parks. Have you ever tried to explain the game itself to someone from another country? Balls, strikes, dropped third strikes, the infield fly rule, etc.