Monday, May 11, 2009

The Vision Thing

.
You did not have to go through a security check to enter the art fair at Laumeier Sculpture Park but you did have to pass by an inspection of sorts. This is Eye by Tont Tasset. There is no further information on the park's web site. It's at least two meters in diameter. You can interpret it all sorts of ways: observe the observer; anatomy class for giants; really big brother is watching you; the world's biggest ocular prosthesis; wow, man, that is really freaky; and on and on. What do you, uh, see in it?

By the way, the title of this post refers to a quote by former president George H. W. Bush (George I), something he said when he was asked why he wasn't paying more attention to the long term needs of the country.



There is a new Arch photo
today on GATEWAY. About time.



TOMORROW: at least someone is.

12 comments:

Olivier said...

Big brother is watching you ;o)) Impressionnant

Virginia said...

I loved your titles. HIlarious. That eye gives me the creeps though. I worked for eye doctors for years and the prosthesis thing got me. I couldn't pull up George I quote.
V

Saretta said...

I loved your title, too! But can I just say "eeeeuuuuu"? I don't like eyes outside their sockets!

U "R" Us AKA Captain Crowe said...

Wacky! I haven't been to Laumeier in years. Cool to see they have fun new stuff.

Sharon said...

I don't think this sculpture was when I visited. I like it and I love your title :-).

Thanks for visiting my site today. I posted some answers to your questions. I'll have to post another photo that shows one of the suspension arms of the piece. I went yesterday afternoon and took some daytime photos I'll have to post soon.

cieldequimper said...

Wanna play marbles?

Ming the Merciless said...

The eye ball looks kind of freaky to me but then again, art today is all about shock value. The more you can shock the audience, the better it is.

As for coming to Sunnyside for a slice of 'real New York neighborhood', it sounds like a good idea. Although, the East Village is as authentically New York as are all the other neighborhoods.

Emma Bond said...

Surreal and very cool. Reminds me of a Pink Floyd album cover. Great!

Hilda said...

Definitely freaky!

Stefan Jansson said...

I see a cool piece of art.

Victor said...

Ah, I see Strangetastes is back. This is an automatic fave. Excellent.

PJ said...

I love it. It looks like the seat of the soul.