Saturday, May 2, 2009

Character

.

The opening of the Character Project photography show Thursday night was fascinating fun. Eleven artists were represented and one of them was in attendance, Eric McNatt. Check here for his statement about this work. He depicted the people of Brownwood, Texas, his home town, located in the exact center of the state. You can see his photos of little leaguers, homecoming queens and country musicians here. If you are in New York, you can see his work at a group show that opens today at Stricola Contemporaty Art in Soho.

There was a prize for an outstanding high school photographer. It was won by Abie Kanyuck, a student at
Crossroads College Prep, the only private, non-sectarian high school in the City of St. Louis proper. It is tiny and the quality of education is extraordinary. That's what ShadowyOne and U "R" Us, heirs to the St. Louis Daily Photo fortune, think. They both blossomed at Crossroads.


You can see the show at the St. Louis Regional Arts Commission Gallery today from 9 to 6 and tomorrow from 10 to 5. It goes on to San Francisco and Los Angeles from here. If you can't make it, you can buy the book here.

More pictures from opening night are on Flickr here. I expect to add others over the weekend.

TOMORROW: ¡Viva Mexico!

4 comments:

Virginia said...

Well you certainly snagged me on this project. I'm fascinated by it and I've read most of the artists bios on their site. Of course you know this type of thing is right up my alley. I see the book sitting on my coffee table any day now! You did a great job covering this beat B.
V

Jilly said...

Great pics of this event, Bob. Wish I were there. Some of those photographs look stunning.

cieldequimper said...

Fabulous photojournalism Bob!

PJ said...

I haven't investigated the links yet but I plan to. Until then I have to tell you, I think you're a character. I'm still loving the video of you taking the pictures at the pillow fight. You looked like a kid at a picnic.