Wednesday, January 10, 2024

THERE'S A REASON FOR IT

This is the bottom of Art Hill, the long slope that's the place to go sledding in this town. The body of water at the bottom is known as the Grand Lagoon. When we got heavy snows (it happened), the paved path would be covered and the reckless could - and did - fly straight into the water (and it's more than a meter drop). Eventually, the park put a line of hay bales at the bottom. Now it's spaced bales with that orange net stretch stuff.

Forest Park lies between our two major universities, St. Louis U. and Washington U. When I was an undergrad at SLU, we used to swipe plastic trays from the cafeteria to use as minimal sleds if there was a big dump. Kids would zoom out of control and occasionally someone would shoot off the end. I saw it happen.                  

3 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

Those were the days.

Barbara Rogers said...

That always scared me, but I was a very young girl at the time, and either my father or sister were on the sled with me! Oh the trek back up the hill pulling the sled (when my father didn't come with me) !

William Kendall said...

One of the hills here has a creek below, but it's rare for slender to reach it, and it consistently freezes over anyway.