Thursday, October 1, 2015

City Daily Photo Theme Day: Shelter

NYC 2015-07-02 23

Interrupting the balloons for City Daily Photo theme day. This month's topic is shelter.

I posted this picture earlier this year but it's worth another look. It's not from the city I live in now but it's my home town. Good enough. The inscription on the Statue of Liberty says:
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door! 
Three of my grandparents, immigrants from Ireland and Poland, sailed by this statue seeking shelter. They found it. May our country continue the tradition.
          

13 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

Super for the theme, Bob!

Tanya Breese said...

clever entry!

Norma said...

What a perfect choice!

Kate said...

This is probably the most iconic shelter any of us could choose. Given the current state of the world, it is most appropriate.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I agree with Kate, a more iconic symbol of shelter would be hard to find. Nice one Bob!

Birdman said...

Good one!

Pat said...

Very good interpretation of shelter, Bob.

William Kendall said...

A very good choice for the theme!

Sharon said...

Awesome post Bob! A perfect choice for the theme.

RedPat said...

Very timely!

Jack said...

It is both a fine photo and a sensitive interpretation of the "shelter" theme. Well done.

Unknown said...

Great post, Bob!
JR (Inside Out Project) made a movie which is about to be released and I'm looking forward to seeing it: http://video.newyorker.com/watch/ellis . It just crossed my mind now.

Nathalie H.D. said...

Oh dear, Bob, what a fitting quote at a time when Europe is struggling with this immigration issue! I don't think I'd ever read these words.